Monday, February 18, 2008

Hurry up, slow down.

Utopian societies are immanently conceivable, but fatal for societies to achieve. First, it implies a global agreement concerning an abstract term. The innumerable springs of definition lend themselves to imagination, and even to practice, but not to perfection. It is a haughty expression whose logic works to undermine evolution. A utopian society limits the imagination, dreams, and the future. It is self-sufficient, but like a punch-line repeating in Space. It is senseless without the context of a past-present-future continuum. It is incomprehensible. It is death disguised as immortality, a senseless twilight sleep. A utopian world lacks memory and a sense of what’s possible. It is a congealed world lacking hope. At bottom, there is dystopia. A dystopia is a resignedness. It is a ghost-town, but a freer one than its sister. A ghost-town at least allows for nostalgia that can turn on itself and become hope. Nostalgia is moot within a Utopia, as are all dreams. Inside of a dystopia there is at least the dreams of a past. It doesn’t move forward either, but it stands on everything that came before it. It is, in a sense, suicide. The only real life is in the middle, inside dreams, inside science fiction. Real life is the imagination, and they both lack that. They both lack the omnidirectional mobility of imagination.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I think that we need to try to strive for a utopian society. It is impractical and will never happen, but I feel that it is the best way for us to better society as much as we possibly can.

Anonymous said...

"mmanently conceivable, but fatal for societies to achieve."
Any type of society is fatal. We are humans, no matter how we conductive ourselves, we will die.


"It is a ghost-town, but a freer one than its sister. A ghost-town at least allows for nostalgia that can turn on itself and become hope."

What is this hope for? This shimmering hole in the rock? What do we look forward to, what do we hope for but utopia?

When you say freer than its sister, you refer to freedom in the subjective sense. Freedom in comparison to others, you have freedom to be different.

But what about freedom from lies, shame, confusion. What about an underlying understanding. what does it mean to be human?

"A utopian world lacks memory and a sense of what’s possible. It is a congealed world lacking hope." A Utopian world remembers the love of individuals days, of their families, of the everlasting curious glory of life. There is no hope because there is nothing to hope for. Hope seems like a wonderful thing, but if their is hope, then there is suffering; There is reason to look forward to something better.

A Utopian society is one which lacks hope. However, it is not a bad characteristic as you have suggested.

To have no hope is to be free.

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

N: Is there no other suffering beyond that which accompanies dashed hopes?

Anonymous said...

D.K.J.: When suffering, humans look to other places in time (past/future) when there was no suffering.

As I look down at my broken ankle, I look back to the five minuets before I jumped out of the tree. (physical suffering)
As I cry alone in my car after my girlfriend and I have just broken up, I look forward to next month, when emotions will have settled.(mental suffering)

Hope to me seems like want; a yearning.



The only reason I suffer by the
death of my dog is from hope(want). I want him to live on, I'd hoped to see and touch him one last time. When I understand that he, like I and everything else must die, I can accept death without suffering.

When I am suffering from a torn ligament, I hope it will get better. I want the pain to go away. But there is only pain when I compare it to a memory or hope of no pain.


Hope is a projection into the future, a place where one wants to be, what one wants to accomplish. When one is there, and all has been accomplished, where is hope? Where then is suffering if there is only living?

If there is no yearning from something other than what is right now, moment to moment, there is no suffering.

To suffer, one must compare present feelings with those of the past, or future ambitions(hope). Once what has been hoped for is accomplished, more hope? When then is there simply satisfaction? Is that what this must be, a never ending drive for something better?

Hope must have an ending, or it isn't hope at all, it is infinite nothing.


I cannot think of any examples of suffering outside those tied to hope.